Celebrate Christmas 1940s style at the Royal Armouries in Leeds - Thursday, 9 December 2010
Times may be hard, but can you imagine celebrating Christmas on rations? Unwrap the gift of a Second World War Yuletide at the Royal Armouries’ flagship museum at Clarence Dock, Leeds on December 11 and 12.
Join us for a weekend of simple, seasonal Forties pleasures – home-made presents, decorations, wartime stories and music. Christmas crackers include:
- Inner state – comedy duo. Themed walkabout characters with performances of traditional 1940s Christmas songs at 11.30am, 1pm, 2pm & 3.30pm.
- Make wartime Christmas gifts – learn about rationing, make-do and mend sessions from 11am – 4pm.
- Christmas stocking making demonstrations at 12noon, 1.30pm & 3pm.
- UK Home Front Society – Costumed hands-on history displays, 11am– 4pm.
- 1940s Hair and Makeup Workshops – 10.45am, 12.30pm, 2.15pm Cost £5 per person – spaces are limited.
- Learn steps from the 1940s dance The Stroll.
Regular museum events will also run as usual:
- Interpretations – Throughout the day from 10.15am. History in Action – 2.30pm (45 mins), * War Cinema, £3 adults, £2 concessions. Have a go sword – 3.15pm (45 mins), Dojo,
- Oriental Gallery, £5 per person, maximum of 12 people. Suitable for 8 years plus. Jester’s yard – including arts and crafts, 11am – 4pm, 5th Floor, £2.50 per child, adults go free.
Further details of these and all our events can be found at:
Tel: 07838 379599
Notes to editors
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Information Line: 0113 220 1999
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.