We will remember them - Thursday, 29 October 2009
_*At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them*_ – Laurence Binyon
Britain’s oldest museum pays tribute to the nation’s war dead during November in a poignant month of Remembrance.
To complement the traditional Armistice Day service on Wednesday, November 11, the Royal Armouries has lined up a programme of events to honour those who made the “ultimate sacrifice”.
Following last year’s tribute when museum staff read out the names of every Leeds’ soldier killed during the First World War, the Royal Armouries will now remember local people who gave their lives during the 1939-1945 conflict.
A Roll of Honour has been assembled with the assistance of Leeds City Library’s local history department and includes approximately 2,500 names, which will be read out throughout November.
Other events include:
Armistice Day Service
Royal Navy Chaplain, the Rev G Warren, will lead the service from 10.30am. This will include a two-minute silence and poppy petal drop.
Lest We Forget
Every Tuesday and Thursday throughout November at 11am, the RA’s team of historical actors will visit War Memorials around the city of Leeds. They will read poetry and talk about the people featured on each specific memorial.
Visits are as follows:
Nov 3 – Leeds Parish Church
Nov 5 – Barwick in Elmet War Memorial
Nov 10 – Adel-Cum-Eccup Baptist Church
Nov 12 – Rothwell War Memorial
Nov 17 – Leeds City Boer War Memorial
Nov 19 – Leeds Metropolitan University
Nov 24 – Calverley War Memorial
Nov 26 – Leeds City War Memorial
The numerous acted pieces performed throughout the month draw upon eye-witness testimony and first-hand accounts; and are heart-rending and hopeful in equal measure.
Tel: 0113 220 1978
Notes to editors
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Ticket booking Line: 0113 220 1985
- Information Line: 08700 344 344
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.