Royal Armouries to celebrate Leeds’ historic link with HMS Ark Royal at the Queen’s International Joust - Friday, 21 August 2009
Cheer on some of the world’s top jousters this August Bank Holiday as they clash head-to-head for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Trophy.
Come early and pick your favourite knight in the Path to Victory parade as 10 of the top American and European jousters stage a major spectacular at the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds.
Watch the drama build through the heats on Saturday (August 29) and Sunday (August 30,) peaking in a nail-biting climax on Bank Holiday Monday.
The Queen’s Jubilee trophy will be presented by the ship’s commanding officer, Captain John Clink, to mark the historic links between the City of Leeds and the Fleet flagship, HMS Ark Royal.
The city’s association with Ark Royal dates to the Second World War, when Leeds raised a grand total of over £9m towards the cost of the war effort. Over £5m of this went towards replacing the wartime Ark Royal, which was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean in 1941.
The current ship is the fifth Ark Royal, commissioned in 1985. Ark Royal was granted the Freedom of the City of Leeds in 1973, with the strong association continuing.
As a special highlight on Bank Holiday Monday, the Royal Armouries are staging a medieval pageant, complete with fire performers, knights on bikes, circus acts and the museum’s own medieval jester, Lord Flame, to keep the whole family entertained.
Tournament heats take place on Saturday and Sunday at 12.15pm and 2.45pm. The play-offs are on Bank Holiday Monday at 12.15, followed by the final clash to find the champion at 2.45pm.
Tickets can be purchased online by visiting the Royal Armouries shop or on the day.
Tel: 0113 220 1978
Notes to editors
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Ticket booking Line: 0113 220 1985
- Information Line: 08700 344 344
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.